Thursday, January 15, 2009

January Watercolors -- We Call It

The Everyday Matters topic for this week (EDM #206) is "We Call It." You are supposed to sketch something that is called one thing in the US and something else in another place. So, I picked two things:

1. Bandaids in the US -- In the UK, they are called plasters.
2. Diapers in the US -- In the UK, they are called nappies.

Would love your comments/suggestions. I had trouble with the people on the diaper package. Anyone have a good source for learning quick watercolor people?



3 comments:

  1. LOL! If you do find a good source for learning quick watercolour people, please let me know - by Monday ...!
    Just before I read your post (on EDM) I had taken down a couple of my books about painting people because I have to paint people at my weekly art class on Monday. I have found both books to be helpful - the first is 'Painting People and Animals with Confidence'. Here in the UK it is published by David and Charles.
    The second book is 'You Can Paint People in Watercolour' by Sharon Finmark, published by Collins.
    Good luck with the people painting. I liked your pictures and hope to see more.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Excellent! I have been bumping my brain trying to come up with things, and yet, here is something so obvious. Good for you. Nice paintings too.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great pictures! I like your use of colour.

    As Marancat says, Sharon Finmark is excellent, I have a book "Watercolour for Complete Beginners" where she has written a great section (it takes up a third of the book, along with Alwyn Crawshaw and someone else) on painting people. I would definitely recommend it. I signed up for a watercolour class and imagine how pleased I was when she turned out to be our substitute teacher last Sunday!

    ReplyDelete